Sunday, June 28, 2009

A labor story...

A Labor Story........



I want to share a scene I was blessed to witness once. Years ago I took care of a very strong, determined young woman, planning her third birth. She had birth her first babies all natural ( no epdirual, narcotic or induction) and of course, was planning that for this baby as well. In those days I was "birthing babies" in our community hospital. I was fornunate then the nursing staff was kind and supportive of me and my birthing moms...



Well, as is true for birth, my mom was in hard labor and resting on her side, entering that stage we not so fonding call "transition". However, from a midwives perspective it is a truly beautiful time, especially when there is vocal accompaniment! The mother call, I like to say...You know that baby's coming! ( we're almost done!). Anyway, she was THERE!



Alongside her was her husband, sister-in-law and granny. As she moaned and rocked both those women leaned in and massaged and consoled, whispering their love and guidance. Instinctively they knew exactly what she needed, because they had walked in her shoes...

I knew they knew exactly what she was experiencing and in that moment I felt like I had been witness to the true essence of what women are capable of and how, as we love each other, our own strength is fortified....NO woman should ever be left alone, feel alone or afraid in the moment that is one of the most powerful, fearful, loving and courageous.

No comments:

Post a Comment